Centre of Operations of the Slovak Academy of Sciences (COO SAS)
Dubravska cesta, Karlova Ves, Bratislava, Slovakia
Internship / Part-time
Full-time position (37.5 hours/week) wage may amount to 1 500 – 2 000 EUR/month gross.
Internship / Part-time position wage is in proportion to the full-time position, depending on individual working time agreement.
Job description, responsibilities and duties
We are looking for a new colleague / intern who will be a part of our hardworking and friendly team at the National Competence Center for High-Performance Computing. Junior HPC Systems Administrator will work with HPC systems operated by COO SAS.
This position will allow you to gain knowledge and experience in the field of high-performance computing systems, tools and services, which is a rapidly developing area facilitating digital innovation in many industrial sectors, science and public administration.
As an intern in the High-Performance Computing Department, you will be involved in HPC systems administration, technical support, and user service development. The tasks you will assist the team with will be assigned based on your skill and experience level and may include:
- Configure, install, manage, and update the HPC infrastructure (including components such as the network, storage, and backup subsystems) and the environment (including application equipment).
- Monitoring of HPC infrastructure and functionality of provided services.
- Collaboration on projects to improve functionality in areas such as monitoring, planning and managing HPC resources, configuration and backup.
- Design and implementation of enhancements to existing HPC systems management tools and processes.
- Benchmarking of computing, storage and network technologies of HPC systems.
- Design and implementation of new tools / improvements to existing HPC systems management tools and processes.
- User support.
- Development and maintenance of internal technical and user documentation and operating procedures and standards, „best practice guides“.
- Flexible working hours.
- Pleasant working environment, friendly and helpful team.
- Opportunities of training and courses on the job.
- Discount on accommodation for employees from distant regions.
- Drinking regime at the office.
- SIM card.
- Business laptop / computer as required.
Candidates’ education suitable for the position:
Student (Master’s degree) / Postgraduate (Doctorate) in areas of Computer Science, Mathematics, Science (Physics, Theoretical chemistry) or related disciplines.
Required / useful skills:
- Knowledge of Linux operating system (CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu, …).
- Knowledge of network infrastructure and experience with configuration, maintenance and monitoring (including technologies such as IP, NAT, VLAN, VPN,…).
- Knowledge of scripting / programming in Python, Bash, Perl.
- Proactive and responsible approach, willingness and ability to self-study and learn new IT technologies related to HPC.
- Adequate written and oral communication skills when interacting with partners / customers, and team members.
- Knowledge of verbal and written English.
Skills can be demonstrated by work experience or output from projects (e.g. diploma thesis / dissertation), hackathons and contributions to open-source development, etc.
The candidate can demonstrate experience in the field that he / she could have acquired during his / her studies.
Information about the selection process
In an effort to strengthen the presence of female workers in the STEM areas, the COO SAS invites women to apply for this job opening. Full-time positions may in general be turned into part-time positions. Disabled people will have priority as long as equally qualified.
If you meet the requirements, send us your curriculum vitae, motivational letter and references if possible. Selected candidates will be contacted for interview.